EDMONTON, AB – July 15, 2021 – Starting on or about Monday, July 19th, 2021, the overhead wires for the Valley Line Southeast LRT along 95th Avenue between 87th Street and along Connors Road will be permanently energized. Energization of this segment will mean that Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) testing will be occurring, intermittently, in this area. As construction progresses, the overhead wires will be energized on a gradual basis in each area of the 13-kilometre alignment beginning in Mill Woods and ending in Downtown.
For your safety, overhead wires should always be considered energized when strung from power pole to power pole.
FOR YOUR SAFETY:
- Coming into contact with live overhead wires can lead to serious injury or death. Please be aware of your surroundings. Keep all high reaching devices such as ladders, drones, and remote-controlled planes away from the energized overhead wires.
- Use designated pedestrian walkways and only cross the tracks at designated crossings.
- Always follow the direction of construction personnel and flaggers.
- Always follow traffic and pedestrian signs and
In addition, starting on or about Monday, July 19th, LRVs will travel along the LRT tracks from the Gerry Wright Operations and Maintenance Facility at 75 Street and 51 Avenue towards the Strathearn LRT stop on 95th Avenue. A Mobile Recovery Vehicle (MRV) will be used to push/pull the trains on the tracks.
Crews will be performing a series of train system tests in the area between the Strathearn stop, along Connors Road, and to the Muttart stop. Testing will include emergency brake and static testing. Please note that LRVs will be tested under different emergency scenarios to confirm safety requirements, and that testing will not be representative of normal operations. Testing will occur during the hours of 6:00am – 6:00pm for approximately 14 days, with the trains temporarily staged at the Strathearn LRT Stop. Trains will be escorted by crews at all times and will be monitored 24 hours a day by security.
Road users may encounter the trains along the tracks and crossing intersections such as Roper Road over 75 Street, Argyll Road along the elevated tracks, across 82 Avenue, past Bonnie Doon Mall, and at the intersection at Connors Hill and 95th Avenue.
To accommodate this work, the public will be impacted in the following areas:
- There will be occasional noise associated with this work, including the movement and braking of the LRVs, and the bell dings from the MRV to alert the public of the moving train.
- There will be occasional flashing lights emitting from the LRVs.
- There will be minimal traffic disruption with occasional train crossings at the roadways and intersections that cross the LRT tracks. Flaggers will be on-site where required.
- Flag persons will be on-site to ensure traffic flow and safety of pedestrians.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained.
Thank you for your understanding and patience as the project progresses. For the most current, up-to-date information in your area, please visit: http://transedlrt.ca/advisories/.
Please refer to the attached map for more details. For more information, visit our website www.transedlrt.ca or contact us via email at email@example.com or by phone 780-224-0964.